New Website: For You, from Me (Robby Fowler)
Excited to launch a new website from me to you—the new Robby Fowler site! I’m certain the new site will eclipse the old. (Comedy is all about timing…because I launched this near the solar eclipse of 2017.)
This whole thing started with me wanting to bring 18 years worth of marketing experience to help simplify your marketing and grow your personal brand and business. But my previous site wasn’t setup for that. So, new site to the rescue.
Here’s how the new Robby Fowler website will help you STOP random acts of marketing, focus first, and grow your personal brand and business.
- Killer Marketing Blog Articles that give you Clarity & Confidence in Your Marketing: These articles are hand-crafted to clear your marketing confusion and clutter so you can be confident of your next marketing step. They’re like FREE vitamins to help you grow your messaging, marketing & brand. (Become a “Robby Fowler Insider” by joining my email list. Sign up at the bottom of THIS page. You’ll get these right in your inbox, plus other exclusive goodies!)
- New ‘Services’ Section: Take a closer look at how we can partner together to grow your personal brand or business. From the Coaching to execution, I’m here to help you master plan your marketing so you can move forward with confidence and clarity.
- Home, Refined: I tidied up the home page so you can get an even better picture of how to grow your personal brand or business.
Want a Geek-Peak Under the Hood?
If platforms and frameworks strike your fancy, here’s a quick look at what went into the new design.
I took a dive into a new pool—Jekyll. Jekyll is a simple, blog-aware static site generator. That means it spits out static html files. No databases or plugins or widgets or server code. Here’s why I went with Jekyll.
- Custom Design: I can custom-code every pixel of the design (no themes).
- Static Site: Static sites are super fast and there’s NO risk of hacking (sorry WordPress).
- Easy Development: I can build and test everything on my local machine, then push it to my web host.
- Blogging Built-in: Perfect for launching the new “Articles” (blog) section of my site.
Bootstrap 4 Beta Framework
Right in the middle of my development, Bootstrap released a new Beta version of 4. After squashing several migration bugs, I moved from Alpha 4 to Beta 4. Here’s what I like about Bootstrap Beta 4 framework.
- Flex is native. This makes responsive layout much easier. This alone was worth the headache of transitioning mid-stream.
- Bootstrap Utilities mean I do less individual scss styling. Adding padding, centering blocks, hiding elements on smaller screens…It all gets done in the html (not the style sheet). All this cuts down on css file size. And that equals speed…again.
- It’s new. I like new.
I’m on Amazon S3 with SSL and Cloudfront. (I just threw up a little bit in my mouth at the jargon.) Here’s the skinny on the tech talk.
S3 = Amazon’s cloud-based storage.
- It’s in the cloud, and that’s fancy.
- It’s dirt cheap, and that’s…cheap.
- It’s reliable web hosting, and that’s peace of mind.
- It’s freakin’ Amazon, and that’s good enough for Amazon.
SSL = ‘https://’ meaning a Secure Website (nifty lock icon included)
- My website is now secure, so toss your wallet on the coffee table and relax.
- Google and other search engines reward secure sites (and punish unsecured sites).
- SSL cost $0.00, right inline with my budget.
Cloudfront = Content Delivery Network
- A Content Delivery Network (CDN) means my stuff gets stored on a ‘server near you’…and that equals speed.
- Fast, fast, fast is Good, good, good.
- Cloudfront gives me speed for pennies.
In the end, I’m excited to serve you better. Take a look around. Let me know if you run into any problems. Share it with anyone who is part of something great and wants to grow his or her impact. And keep your eyes on your inbox. Vitamins are coming!